About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Librarian student, mum, wife, cafe crawler, yogi and vegetarian

Let the Adventure Begin!

Social networking to me is about communicating with the people and organisations I want, when I want, where I want, in whatever format I want. It's about sharing information, collaborating with others and forming of a personal and/or professional community. I have always belonged to social networks, primarily involving face-to-face, phone or snail mail contact, but today my social networking experience embraces a wider online community via online social networking sites.

Before the subject INF506 Social Networking for Information Professionals commenced this week, I had only used Facebook (excessively, since mid-2007) and LinkedIn (sporadically, since 2006). This week I signed up with Twitter (potentially addictive), Delicious and Flickr. I am looking forward to exploring these social networking sites plus, later on this session, Second Life, and learning about how they can be used in a library setting.

I expect to gain hands-on knowledge about social networking sites and to learn how libraries can, via social networking sites, promote their services and maintain their position as a place people still want to visit, whether virtually or in person, in order to connect with people and ideas. I also hope to explore some of the complex social and ethical issues arising out of this brave new world of social networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment